NOW WHAT? A Training Series for Board Members
Serving on a volunteer board comes with serious responsibilities. Olds Institute has compiled a 4-part series of free workshops to address some of the most critical elements of board service. Each session is only 90-minutes of valuable information… with a dash of humour.
The series run Monday evenings, beginning April 29.
Keep it Movin’ People! Make Your Meetings Meaningful
(Meeting Processes and AGMs)
Ever see the John Cleese training video “Meetings, Bloody Meetings“? Ever feel like no one else has ever seen it?
The purpose of this module is to provide the tools for holding successful meetings – the ultimate decision-making process for all organizations, including:
- The legal and regulatory requirements for Board, committee and member meetings
- Tools and processes for organizing and holding successful and effective meetings.
- The special nature of member meetings and best practices
- Purpose of committees, relationship to the board, roles and responsibilities, board delegation along with committee rights and authority.
- Agenda Fundamentals
- Briefing Materials
- Legalities; Rules & Regulations
- Actions & Resolutions
- In-Camera Meetings
Bean Counting 101: The Language of Money
(Financial Literacy for the Non-Financial Board Member)
We can’t all be accountants. But when you serve on a volunteer board, you are responsible for the financial health of the organization.
The purpose of this module is to help give you an understanding of business finance, and the role of the Board, Audit Committee, Auditors and the Governance Professional in the preparation, presentation and analysis of financial information.
Participants will develop an understanding with respect to:
- Accounting terms and the significance and relevance of financial information
- The budgeting process including the fundamentals of preparing a budget
- Basic concepts underlying the preparation and presentation of financial statements
- Controls and policies that help ensure accuracy and reliability of accounting systems
Take Note! Your Minutes Matter
(Minutes and Minutes Management)
The minutes of your meetings are an important record of the decisions and actions of the volunteer board. It’s a critical system of documentation that holds board members accountable and gives the organization clear direction moving forward.
The purpose of this module is to provide the tools for preparing minutes that protect the organization and its directors/members – with the objective of evidencing the due-diligence of the Board in its decision-making processes.
Participants will explore the following topics in depth:
- The legal and regulatory requirements for minutes
- Tools and processes for implementing and maintaining effective minutes
- Best practice minute taking, preparation and maintenance procedures
- Provincial legislation
- Confidentiality and longevity
- Succession and seniority records
- Board evaluation records
Straw, Sticks or Brick? How is Your House Built?
(Board Policy Development & Governance)
If you build a strong organization, on a strong foundation, with strong vision and leadership, it is more likely to survive the sudden and gusting winds of change.
The purpose of this module is to explore governance as leadership, as this is a crucial issue for Not for Profit organisations. Whatever the strength of an organisation, its ultimate contribution to a community and/or group of clients will be determined largely by its leadership. Some discussion around fiduciary responsibilities, strategic planning and generative discussion.
Well-defined processes and policy create a solid base for boards to work from.
- Board of Director policy
- Board/Executive relationship policy
- Executive Limitations policy
- Organizational Outcomes statements
|April 29, 2019||7:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|May 6, 2019||7:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|May 13, 2019||7:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
|May 27, 2019||7:00 pm - 8:30 pm|
- Address: #1, 5102 - 51 Street, T4H 1P8, Olds
- Phone: 403-556-1105
Everything Olds Information & Entrepreneurship Centre
(Across the street from the Post Office in Uptowne Olds)